Monday, March 24, 2008

Chapter 8: Organize for Daily Writing

  • Great to know that Writing Workshop is not a linear process of prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing.
  • Page 175: It is recommended that students write twice as much as they do now. I loved the fact that it was mentioned that some of that writing could be done at home. That would have worked great with a recent biography project the students wrote. Some of the research writing could have been done at home.
  • I know that Regie Routman has mentioned this before, but I like the idea of teaching a writing technique first and then later labeling the type of writing that was done. I think students would then understand that particular writing better as they have already been exposed to that type of writing.
  • On page 196, I liked the idea of teaching nonfiction writing while introducing text features. The students will get a double dose of understanding text features through both writing and reading experiences.
  • I hope to use the snapshot idea at the beginning of the school year. What a great way to get to know your students as well as for them to get to know each other!
I really enjoyed this chapter!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Carol, I have had students write different text structures, and it was great. They internalized the text structure, and it really helped them do better on their state assessments.

Mrs. Voth said...

I also liked the idea on Snapshots. Not only do I think this would be excellent for the beginning of the year for our classrooms, but I also think it would be great to do as a staff for the front bulletin board.