Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chapter 11: Build on Best Practice and Research

I think this chapter had several statements that were definitely worth reading a few times over. This entire book has had several liberating statements about writing and some just about teaching in general. What a breath of fresh air!

I enjoyed the information on page 278 about persuasive writing. I think it was about a couple of years ago that Union Valley wrote letters to the state. The students tried to persuade the state to rebuild the bridge over 61 Highway once they widened the highway. Whether it was the student letters or some other influence, the state decided to rebuild the bridge after the highway work was completed. What an incredible way to show the power of the pen!

On page 270, Regie writes that "you achieve what you believe." This is so true and powerful.

3 comments:

Travelin' Tim said...

Persuasive writing is an area that children as a whole like to do. I find that most of my students like to try and persuade people to see their point of view and why. This is an important part of writing.

Jera French said...

I remember all the letters for the bridge. I wonder what the kids remember about writing them?

Mindy Wills said...

I had forgotten about that! It was a powerful writing lesson and it had the outcome we all wanted! I'm with Jera, I wonder if those students remember writing them. Why didn't we think to make copies of some!nh